The best free museums of SF
Once Monday is over, everything seems to be better. In San Francisco this feeling is greater the first Tuesday of the month due to the fact that it is the day in which the admission to the best museums of the city is free. In this case, on Tuesday 8th August you will have the chance to enter to the following museums for free:
De Young Museum is a fine arts museum located in the Golden Gate Park. This museum counts with exhibitions from different geographic areas, for example African art or Oceanian art. It also presents different disciplines such as photography and textile art.
Legion of Honor is another fine arts museum par excellence in the city. This French neoclassical building is a replica of the Palais de la Légion d’Honneur in Paris at a smaller scale. Inside, you find a great collection of European art that spans four millennia of history.
Do you prefer contemporary art? You can also visit the Museum of Craft and Design (MCD) for free, the only museum in San Francisco focused on craftwork and contemporary design. According to the web page of the museum, this place is perfect for people who ‘question the conventional notion of art, who are inspired by creativity that stirs the soul and who value designers, makers and artists who are risk takers’.
The list of free museums also counts with the Conservatory of Flowers, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts and the Contemporary Jewish Museum.
- de Young Museum: stop number 11 of the route San Francisco City Loop (Golden Gate Park)
- Legion of Honor: stop number 2 of the route Golden Gate Park & Zoo Trolley (Legion of Honor)
- Conservatory of Flowers: stop numbers 12 of the route San Francisco City Loop (Golden Gate Natural Park)
- Yerba Buena Center for the Arts: stop number 20 of the route San Francisco City Loop (Porthmouth Square)
- Contemporary Jewish Museum: stop number 20 of the route San Francisco City Loop (Porthmouth Square)